I am a senior research fellow at the University of Cambridge. This summer, I am spending some time with the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS)-Asia as an associate fellow. I was most recently a nonresident fellow at Brookings Institution and a senior visiting research fellow at the Centre for International Law. I have held fellowships at Harvard Law School, the Harvard Kennedy School and the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS). I am a council member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Future Council on International Security.
I work on the politics, law and security of the Asia-Pacific region, with a focus on the South China Sea dispute. I also study nationalism and race and religious relations in Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Myanmar). As part of my work on the World Economic Forum Council, I examine the implications of the 4th Industrial Revolution for the future of international security.
I am an advocate and solicitor and have worked as a senior producer at a television news station. I have also served as editor-in-chief of the Cambridge Review of International Affairs and the Singapore Law Review, both peer-reviewed journals. I have been invited to speak at international conferences and at leading universities. My analysis has featured in influential publications and broadsheets, including Foreign Affairs and The Wall Street Journal. I have also been interviewed by and quoted in various broadcast and print media, including the BBC, CNBC, Al Jazeera, the New York Times and the Associated Press.
- Member, World Economic Forum, Global Future Council on International Security
- IISS Southeast Asian Young Leader, IISS-Shangri-La Dialogue, Singapore
- Munich Young Leader, Munich Security Conference, Germany
- Commonwealth Scholarship (for doctoral studies)
- PhD in Politics and International Studies, University of Cambridge
- Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- Bachelor of Laws, National University of Singapore
- Diploma, Rhodes Academy of Oceans Law and Policy, Greece